This is one of the most versatile recipes we use in our home. You will almost always have ingredients to make this!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or coconut oil
- 2 lbs ground beef or turkey
- 1 can roasted diced tomatoes fresh chopped tomatoes or salsa can be used
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning store bought or use my recipe
- 2 cups uncooked rice substitute with 2 cups quinoa
- 4 cups veggie/chicken broth substitute with water
- 1-2 bunches cilantro chopped
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 2 cups finely sliced purple cabbage optional
- 1 cup bell pepper chopped optional
- 1 head shredded romaine lettuce optional
- 2 cups shredded cheese - I use cheddar Cheese is NEVER optional! Ha ha...
- 1 jar salsa - I use the Kirkland brand from Costco optional
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1-2 avocados sliced or chopped
Heat oil in large pan.
Add in ground beef/turkey. Stir to break up any clumps.
Sprinkle in the taco seasoning and stir into meat.
Put 2 cups of rice with 4 cups of broth or water to cook. I ALWAYS use my rice cooker for this, but you can cook on the stove too. Just make sure you cover that pot! You can also substitute the rice with quinoa using the same exact instructions. But cook the quinoa on the stove.
Continue to cook the meat, stirring occasionally, until there is no more pink.
Stir in tomatoes. You can substitute with a jar of salsa or fresh, chopped tomatoes. You could even through in some chopped jalapenos if you like some more spice!
Chop up all of your veggies and put them in individual bowls or all on a large platter. These are your toppings!
Put your cheese and sour cream in a bowl and set out a jar of salsa if your heart desires! I eat this without cheese and sour cream sometimes and it's still incredibly good!
Truthfully, when I make burrito bowls, many times they look different than the last time I made them. Sometimes I add beans into the meat. Sometimes I add the cilantro into the meat. Sometimes I have no peppers or avocados. You get the picture, right? Just feel free to make it according to your family's likes and the ingredients that you have on hand. Please share your ideas!