So I have to let you in on a pet peeve of mine. I HATE having to read a whole novel before getting to the actual recipe on a blog. I guess people like it, because most bloggers seem to do this. I, however, will not. I will write a short blurb, but no novels...I promise.
So without further ado, here is my recipe for basic, but oh so delicious, baked oatmeal!
- 3 cups oatmeal Rolled oats, not instant oatmeal
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sucanat - or other natural sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 /2 cup milk Use any milk here. I love using almond milk for the flavor it gives.
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt Optional - I use it because I like the consistency better
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup total add ins - raisins, chocolate chips, craisins, nuts, etc. Optional
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix oats, baking powder, sugar and cinnamon together.
Add in milk, yogurt, eggs, and melted butter. Make sure to mix in the eggs and milk a bit before adding in your butter. If you add in hot, melted butter it will cook your eggs. No one wants scrambled eggs in their baked oatmeal. Yuck!
Mix in any add ins that you plan on using.
Pour/scrape mixture into a 9 X 13 pan or if you like it thicker, use a 7 X 11 pan and cook for 30 minutes.
We like to eat baked oatmeal with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and a drizzle of real maple syrup.